Monday, September 14, 2009

How to lose a sale in 1 condescending email

I have been helping my mother in law out with her new small business. She wasn't interested in an online presence as she struggles to turn on her own laptop and yells out "WOW" when she sends an email! So I just did it for her so she could see the results for herself.

I have listed her on all the free directories you can imagine (Google, TrueLocal, Hot Frog, Ulladulla.info etc) and she has received heaps of enquiries. Many are for weddings which are quite profitable for a mobile hairdresser who normally cuts hair for elderly clients confined to their homes!

I looked at a few wedding directories and found one major site that did not mention any advertising costs. I got a response listing their cost structure and benefits of their site. I responded straight away with thanks so much, but it's early days & we are only looking at free listings at this stage.

Instead of a thanks or some helpful info for when we are ready they came back to me with a highly condescending so called sales pitch that included the following bitchy remarks...

"If you cannot afford this, there may be more serious concerns for your business and we acknowledge that we cannot help you. In this case, my humble advice is for you to consider re-adjusting your marketing strategy and directing your dollars to the most accountable means."

"If you would like any advise on how to build your business online, please dont hesitate to contact me... thats what i'm here for."


Spelling and grammar aside, the condescending nature of this email was enough to send me into a rage. So I walked away and then responded when I had calmed down with a polite PFO.

I am a big fan of online advertising and their rates we actually quite reasonable. BUT it is the role of our community to educate the world (particularly small business) on the benefits of online advertising, not to belittle them for giving it a go and judging a business they know nothing about... Suffice to say, when we do start a PPC trial we will not be advertising with this little upstart!

Anyway, vivsmobilehairdresser.com.au is getting more enquiries than she can handle from her free listings. In fact, my Mother-In-Law is now such a big advocate of having a website she has recommended my services to all of her friends... Thanks Mum B!!

No comments:

Post a Comment